Food is manufactured, processed, stored, transported, and distributed by various business owners across India. Owners, managers, transport services, wholesalers, and retailers all ensure a continuous food supply.
The Indian government recognizes this service and offers licenses and registrations to various food business operators to enhance their reputation and quality of service. In addition, consumers also benefit from the higher rate of safe and nutritious foods. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is responsible for issuing Fssai License to eligible business owners.
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India. It was set up under the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSS) 2006 to bring food-related issues together on a single platform.
What is the function of the FSSAI?
The main part of the FSSAI is to protect and promote public health through regulating and supervising various aspects of food safety. Additional functions include:
- Raising awareness and disseminating information related to food safety and nutritional standards.
- Regulate the importation, manufacture, storage, distribution, and sale of food.
- Apply scientifically proven methods to ensure the fortification of food with nutrients and micronutrients.
- Ensuring Indians consume healthy and nutritious food of a high standard.
- Issuing Licenses/Registrations for Food Business Operators in Manufacturing, Storage, Import, Export, Regional Distribution, Marketing, and Sales.
How many types of FSSAI licenses are there in India?
There are four main types of permits issued by FSSAI agencies. These include the
- Central License (Form "B"),
- State License (Form "B"),
- State Registration/Basic License (Form "A")
- Railway License
Who is eligible for the FSSAI license?
The following groups of food companies receive state and central certificates:
- Manufacturers, importers, exporters
- Cold stores, wholesalers
- Retailers, distributors, shippers, suppliers.
- Catering services, clubs, restaurants, hotels, and Marketers.
- Catering services in critical organizations such as airports, seaports, defense facilities, and government agencies.
- The Railway License applies to caterers, clubs, restaurants, bed and breakfasts, street vendors, food stalls, tea shops, snack vendors, and other small retailers in railway facilities across India.
How do I apply for an FSSAI license online?
- Visit the FSSAI website - First, you need to open the official FSSAI website in the browser.
- Check your eligibility - Check eligibility requirements based on food business type.
- Review Fee Structure and Document Requirements - Confirm the fee structure and the list of PDF documents that must be submitted online.
- Complete Fssai Registration - Login with your username and password or register for an online account.
- Complete the Required Details - Complete the full details of the FLRS application form.
- Decide on how to pay - Pay fees online (Net Banking, Credit Card, Debit Card) or offline (DD, Challan), depending on your needs.
- Send necessary documents - Upload all the required documents in PDF file format.
- Submit Form - Please only submit the application form once you have completed all the required steps. Finally, track the progress of your application during the processing phase.
Looking for FSSAI Food License in India?
Sarkari Suvidha Official Website/our consultants will assist you in obtaining all the necessary documents and registrations required for FSSAI Food License in India.
What is the FSSAI license fee?
- Central License – Rs 7500
- State – Rs 2000 – Rs 5000
- Basic Registration – Rs 100
- Railway – Rs 2000
Which documents are required?
- In addition to the application form, the following documents may need to be uploaded online:
- Proof of address, identity card/owner/management/partners.
- Address proof of Business & Layout.
- List of equipment, engines, capacity, horsepower, etc.
- Property / purchase agreement / rent agreement for commercial premises.
- Company deeds / title deeds / cooperative legal deeds / etc.
- NOC, manufacturers license copies.
- Food safety management system or plan, etc.
What types of licensing facilities are available online?
The FSSAI License website has the following online facilities for food business owners:
- User login facility to complete the multi-step application process.
- Issuance of a new central or state license and state Fssai registration certificate.
- Conversion of an existing license from one type to another.
- Renewal of a current state or central license or registration.
- Change of personal and official data in the existing license.
- Check the progress of your license using the application status tracking feature.